Our Commitment to Privacy
The Cancer Support Community respects the privacy of every individual who visits www.cancersupportcommunity.net. This notice explains our online information practices. Because your privacy is important to us, we provide you with notice and choices about the collection and use of your information. To make this notice easy to find, links are provided at the bottom of our homepage and on every page within our Web site.
We collect two types of information:
- Standard Web server traffic pattern information - General traffic, site usage, and length of stay information is collected and stored in log files. This type of information is shared externally only on an aggregated basis.
- Personal Information - We do not collect personally identifiable information from you unless you provide it to us voluntarily and knowingly.
If you choose to donate to our organization, we maintain a record of your contribution. We collect standard credit card information (card number, card type, expiration date) and keep a record of your financial transaction. Credit card numbers are held only until the charge can be processed, then the number is available only to our credit card processing company (Authorize.net)
If you submit an online request for the Cancer Support Community materials such as free educational booklets, or submit a question through a “contact us” query, we may have to gather additional information from you to respond to your request. Such information will vary with the request but often includes name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
We limit the use of information provided to us on our Web site to the following:
- If you do not make a service request, donation, purchase, or otherwise identify yourself, we will have no personally identifiable information about you. We will only use aggregate information derived, in part, from your use of our site to improve our site and our service to you.
- If you provide personal information, we may enter your name into our constituent database and contact you in order to:
- Complete voluntary surveys seeking feedback for quality and service improvement purposes.
- Supply you with information including cancer related health news, the Cancer Support Community programs, events and services.
- Request voluntary time or monetary contributions to the Cancer Support Community.
- Request your participation in a the Cancer Support Community research study.
- We collect the email addresses of those who communicate with us by email. Inquiries may be forwarded to the appropriate the Cancer Support Community department for response and may be entered into our constituent database. If your name is entered into the database, we may contact you (as noted above).
We respect your privacy and allow you to restrict use of your personal information. We recognize that you may wish to limit the ways in which we contact you and we offer the following options:
- Do not contact me by telephone.
- Do not contact me by postal mail.
- Do not contact me by email.
- Do not contact me with fundraising requests supporting the Cancer Support Community.
- Limit your fundraising appeals to semiannual solicitations only.
- Do not contact me or share my information with anyone.
For more information on how to inform us of any desired restrictions, please contact us. If you contact us with an opt-out request, all reasonable efforts will be taken to ensure that you will not receive any of the selected communications from us in the future. If you do not wish to opt out at this time, you may do so at a later date should you so desire.
If you opt back into a specific service, you will receive communication in that manner, regardless of your overall opt out selections. These services may include newsletter subscriptions or email communication by asking a question using “Contact Us.”
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information and to honoring your choices for its intended use. To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we strive to maintain physical, electronic, and administrative safeguards.
Our staff is educated about the importance of safeguarding your information and we are committed to holding them accountable for protecting your confidentiality. However, such precautions do not guarantee that our Web site is invulnerable to all security breaks. The Cancer Support Community makes no warranty, guarantee, or representation that the use of our Web site is protected from viruses, security threats, or other vulnerabilities and that your information will always be secure.
External Website Links
Our privacy policies apply only to your use of the Cancer Support Community Web site. This site contains links to other sites, including sites that have a special relationship with us. We do not disclose personably identifiable information to those operating linked sites and we are not responsible for their privacy practices. Links to other sites do not imply an endorsement of the materials or policies on those Web sites. You should read the privacy policies of each site you visit to determine what information that site may be collecting about you.
The material and content contained in the Resource Library section of the Cancer Support Community web site is for general information only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The Cancer Support Community does not endorse any medical product, treatment protocol or service or provide medical advice to patients, nor is it responsible for material you find on other sites. Users of these resources should not rely exclusively on information provided as information about health care changes constantly. All specific medical questions should be discussed with your own health care provider.
We reserve the right to update this policy at any time. If a material change is made to the policy, we will email all registered users at the email address provided at time of registration.